This was today’s newsletter, but I thought it’d make a good blog post, too, so:
2. I have lots of Daily Rituals when I work: I keep everything in a banker’s box, I scatter index cards and markers around the house, I tack pictures of my heroes on a bulletin boardabove my desk, I press the sleep timer on my clock radio, and I smoke a fake cigarette pencil.
5. Notebooks double in power if you take the time to re-read them.
6. It’s way easier to get things done when you’re working on things worth doing.
7. You can spend your time on work, family, or friends, but you can only have two at a time.
8. If you’re blocked, play with blocks.
9. I can’t think about my book if I want to fall asleep at night, so I need to wind down with a good book that’s not in the genre I’m writing in. Comics and fiction work well, but what I really love is trashy rock ‘n’ roll histories, like Please Kill Me, Van Halen Rising, The Dirt, or, the one I’m reading right now, Meet Me In The Bathroom.
10. I think I have it figured out, but every time I write a book, I learn new things.