Pictures and words in space:
- Comics = pictures and words diagrammed in space
- Blackout poems = words in space
- Mind maps = pictures and words diagrammed in space
What I’m trying to do when I make a mind map: I’m trying to construct a 2-D memory palace on paper. By making notes in a non-linear manner, by arranging images and words in space, I can SEE connections that would otherwise be impossible with just words written in sequence.
I use mind-maps for several things:
Generating ideas, rather than just preserving them.
2) Taking notes on books
(Oddly, I have only attempted non-fiction, never fiction. Not entirely sure why this is.)
3) Taking notes on documentaries
4) Recording meetings and events
5) Remembering conversations
Note: this post was a response to the Vizthink prompt, “In what unique way do you use Mind Maps?“